Top Five Questions About the FMCSA Clearinghouse

1. I have a violation on my Clearinghouse. What do I need to do to drive again?

You will need to contact a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP), once you have determined which Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) you will work with you will need to designate them in the Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse (DACH) under Return to Duty Process (RTD). After meeting with the SAP, they will make the determination when you are eligible to return to duty and provide you with a letter to give to your employer. You will need to be sent for a Return to Duty (RTD) drug test and the negative result reported to the DACH before being able to drive again. The SAP will then provide your employer with the Follow up testing schedule that you will also need to complete to continue driving. If you are not currently employed, you can provide the RTD letter to a potential employer.  They would send you for the RTD test and report the result. The RTD test would be used in place of a Pre-employment test. You cannot get the Return to Duty test completed or the follow up tests completed unless you have an employer who is coordinator these tests.

2. I’m trying to log into my Clearinghouse account but don’t have a security code. How can I get logged in?

You would have told the system how you wanted your security code sent or elected to receive 10 codes that you need to keep when you created your account. You will need a security code to be able to log in. If you are not able to provide a security code your only option would be to delete the account and re-register

3. Where do I go to register for the Clearinghouse?

The website for the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse is 

4. I am not able to see the pending query that should be on my account, what do I need to do?

You will need to log in to your Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse (DACH) account, under My Dashboard, go to Manage, then My Profile. At the top of the page is a paragraph about adding or updating your CDL information. The words “CDL information” is a link to enter your CDL information. Make sure you are entering the information as it is on your license. The CDL # should include all numbers and any letters but no dashes, special characters and no spaces. Once entered, click “verify” after your information is successfully verified the pending query should now be on your dashboard. You will need to log out and back into your account to provide the consent without an error.

5. I received a letter but don’t what it is. It says if I don’t respond within 30-days I won’t be able to drive.

You will need to go to the Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse (DACH) website and create an account if you have not already done so. Log in to your DACH account, you should see the pending query on the main page. The pending query will tell you the name of the company that is requesting consent to see your violation information, if any. All employers are required to request consent of potential new drivers. Consent is required if you intend to drive for the company, it can only be given electronically. 

Do you need more assistance with the FMCSA Clearinghouse?

Clearinghouse Services Inc is a private company that can help you with the new FMCSA Clearinghouse.  Assistance is available for drivers, employers and C/TPA’s.  Call Clearinghouse Services Inc for immediate service – 877-345-2425 or Contact Via E-mail – [email protected].